APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 20, 2019
To continue an application previously started, please login.
The EXPOSURE Section, installed on the main floor of the exposition, provides emerging and younger galleries established for up to ten years the opportunity to participate in EXPO CHICAGO. A special presentation of one or two artists by each of the participating galleries provides critical exposure for their programs and an important opportunity for curators, collectors and art enthusiasts to survey the best in innovative and emerging work. Decisions on acceptance are made exclusively by the EXPOSURE curator with the advisement of the EXPO CHICAGO Selection Committee. EXPOSURE 2019 exhibitors will be curated by Naima Keith, Deputy Director and Chief Curator at The California African American Museum (CAAM).
ABOUT THE 2019 CURATOR
Naima Keith is currently the Vice President of Education and Public Programs at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). As Deputy Director and Chief Curator at The California African American Museum (CAAM), Keith organized exhibitions and built the collection, as well as guided the curatorial and education departments, and oversaw marketing and communications. Prior to joining CAAM in 2016, she was Associate Curator at The Studio Museum in Harlem. Recent exhibitions include Nicole Miller: Athens, California (2018), Kenyatta A.C. Hinkle: The Evanesced (2017), Genevieve Gaignard: Smell the Roses (2016), Rodney McMillian: Views of Main Street (2016), Artists in Residence 2014–2015 (2015), Samuel Levi Jones: Unbound (2015), Titus Kaphar (2014), Glenn Kaino (2014), Robert Pruitt (2013), The Shadows Took Shape (co-curated with Zoe Whitley, 2013) and Fore (co-curated with Lauren Haynes and Thomas J. Lax, 2012). Her historical survey, Charles Gaines: Gridwork 1974–1989 (2014), traveled to the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles spring 2015 and was nominated in 2014 for a "Best Monographic Museum Show in New York" award by the International Association of Art Critics (AICA-USA). She has lectured at the Zoma Contemporary Art Center, Columbia University, The Museum of Modern Art, LACMA, USC, MCA Denver and Brooklyn Museum. Her essays have been featured in publications for The Studio Museum in Harlem, Hammer Museum, Pérez Art Museum Miami, LAXART, MoMA PS1 and NKA: Journal of Contemporary African Art. Keith holds degrees from Spelman College and UCLA and is a proud native of Los Angeles. She is the 2018 ArtTable New Leadership Awardee and the 2017 recipient of the David C. Driskell Prize in recognition of her contributions to the field of African American art history.
The EXPOSURE section of EXPO CHICAGO is open to galleries that have been an established gallery for up to ten years. Booth presentations are limited to one or two artists. The number of participating galleries is limited. Please note that insufficiently documented applications will not be reviewed.
Non-refundable application fee of $105 must accompany application.
EXPOSURE BOOTH | $8,000 (200 square feet /18.6 m2 with 10 lights)
12’ high hard walls painted white; lighting as indicated; exhibitor badges; VIP program including passes to the Collector Professional Preview and special event invitations throughout the exposition; standard booth signage. Detailed information including order forms, customizations, furniture, a/v and other options are available at the exhibitor’s expense provided upon acceptance.
The terms applicable for EXPO CHICAGO are specified in the Regulations, Terms and Conditions which you can download here. The properly completed application submitted digitally by the deadline is understood as an application and confirms no automatic right of acceptance. All applications are subject to written acceptance of EXPO CHICAGO.
Application Checklist and Instructions
The online application system will guide you through the following pages:
- Gallery/Organization Profile
- Section Application Form
- Image and Supplemental Materials Upload
- Application Fee Payment
- Terms & Conditions
- Application Review
Materials and Information to Include:
- Contact Information
- Social Media Information
- Brief Gallery History
- Current Artist List
- List of Other Fairs Participated in
- A Written Proposal for your Exhibition
- 5 to 10 high-resolution JPGS of artwork you intend to present.
- Supporting Materials*
* At the request of the Selection Committee, applicants that have not participated in EXPO CHICAGO previously are asked to provide booth installation shots from past fairs. Additionally, you are encouraged to complete a proposed booth plan.
Applications will not be considered complete without all of the above materials.
- To begin an application, please login using your username and password. If it is the gallery/ organization's first time applying, please create a new login.
- Once started, you may save your application and logout. You may return to complete your application at any time by visiting Application Services on the EXPO CHICAGO website.
- Applicants may apply to more than one exhibitor section.
- Please submit 5 to 10 high quality images of artwork you intend to present. (Only jpgs less than 5 MB each will be accepted.) Applicants are encouraged to include booth installation shots from past fairs as part of your image upload. Submitted artwork images are subject for use in press and promotional materials upon acceptance.
- Optional Supplemental Materials for Selection Committee review including artist biographies, additional gallery information, and/or proposed booth plan, can be uploaded as a single pdf or can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A non-refundable application fee is required. Payment is accepted by credit card only and will be collected as part of the online application form.
- Applicants may submit program proposals for IN/SITU, IN/SITU Outside, EXPO VIDEO, and OVERRIDE | A Billboard Project —providing opportunities to highlight large-scale works and video pieces. You will have the opportunity to submit proposals within Application Services once your Booth application is submitted.
To continue an application previously started, please login.